GhanaReview International - The Leading Ghanaian News Agency
London New York Accra
GRi Latest News
Tuesday 17 October 2017

2017-10-12

[N] PURC boss, Samuel Sarpong, sacked
[N] Don’t stampede gov’t into closing fuel stations – OMCs
[N] £350k Scandal: Otumfuo clean – Sacked Bank Official
[N] 245 suspected drug peddlers, prostitutes arrested in Ashanti
[N] Don’t follow ‘malicious’ social media – Rawlings advises Media General
[N] Gov’t withdraws Zongo Development Fund bill

2017-10-11

[B] Ghana woos investors at IMF/World Bank Meetings
[B] Hybrid power stations to add 850MW to grid
[N] Agric College Students Picket At MoFA Today
[N] We don’t need cabinet meeting to solve gas explosions – Namoale
[N] Cost of home loans drop to 30.6 %
[B] Ghana’s exports rise to $ 8.9 billion
[N] Gov’t investigating report of Ghanaian ISIS fighters – Majority
[N] Tension in Bimbila ahead of late chief burial Thursday
[N] Akufo-Addo's 'one achievement, one launch' is new NPP strategy
[N] God is the reason - 13-year-old KNUST student says
[N] Workers on the Kejetia market project to lay down tools following threats
[N] Parliament tasks 3 committees to investigate gas explosions
[N] Mansco Gas must compensate explosion victims – Mahama Ayariga
[N] Police accused in Delta Force 13 case

2017-10-10

[B] Airlines upbeat about boost in business
[N] Earlier charges against Delta Forces dropped
[N] SUNDA Int. & TWYFORD Ceramics donate to gas explosion victims
[N] Operation to ban public smoking in Tamale to be activated after six arrested in
[N] AUCC founder launches book about his life as public servant and private citizen

2017-10-09

[S] Ghana Rugby team beats Mauritius in impressive Sevens campaign
[N] Thieves steal car at Legon after man fled from Atomic gas explosion
[N] Fuel explosions: NPA to employ 200 extra safety auditors – Agyarko
[N] Petrochemical workers opposed gov’t's new policy on gas explosions – Abu Ramadan
[N] Kwadaso Agric. College Students boycott lectures over unpaid allowances
[N] Court grants withdrawal of application against lawyer for EC boss
[N] Nana Addo to personally pay for presidential correspondent’s funeral
[N] NDC financiers, others frustrated our fight against 'illegal' fuel stations - Ay
[N] New Ya-Naa Will Be My 1st Year’s Crowning Achievement – Akufo-Addo

2017-10-08

[N] Kwadaso MP visits flood prone areas after heavy down pour
[I] Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Touts Legacy As She Prepares To Step Down  
[N] Wassa Akropong Shooting; 4 Arrested
[N] Brother Of 13-Year-Old KNUST Student To Break Sister’s Record
[N] Encroachment of Owabi Forest cause of flooding at Atafoa- Assemblyman
[N] Kwadaso: building kills 2, 1 in critical condition
... go Back
 
General News

[ 2017-10-11 ]

Workers on the Kejetia market project to lay down tools following threats
Construction work on the Kumasi Kejetia Central
Market Redevelopment Project could be heading for
delays over a litigation between a private
developer and project contractors.

The Brazilian firm, Contracta Engineering, says
its work is being interrupted by a private
developer whose structure interferes with
re-engineered road and drainage systems.

Officials say the lives of workers are under
persistent threat as a result.


Phase One of the $260 million project for
construction of over 10, 000 stores and the
reconstruction of the Kejetia Terminal had been
scheduled to be completed in January next year.

There are, however, fears the deadline could be
missed due to a dispute over a parcel of land
earmarked for construction of utility
installations.

On February 17, this year, a Kumasi High Court
ordered the contractor to stop work within 60
meters from a private property being build by All
State Construction.

Consequently, part of the already constructed New
Kejetia Market would have to be demolished, if the
court ruling is upheld.

The private developer has put up a storey building
a few metres to one of the entrances of the new
Kejetia Market.

It has blocked drainage system and the road
network, a situation Contracta officials say can
open the new market up to perennial flooding.

City authorities accuse the private developer
of obtaining what they describe as a fictitious
permit.

Though a 24-hour demolition notice contained in a
letter dated September 20, 2017, has elapsed, the
private developer remains adamant.

Unidentified persons are said to have fired
warning shots last week when city authorities
attempted to demolish the structure.

Emmanuel Danso, a Consultant at Contracta
Engineering Limited, said:  "It's true because  as
part of the  developments that is ongoing at
Kejetia,  we have series of these threats from All
State Construction Company Managing Director
because the development that is ongoing now is not
helping the project at all.
 
"There have been so many interventions or
blockages that he has been doing now.

He has put up a new structure and that structure
is not helping because before the project start,
it was not there but now he has developed it and
now we need to do so many alignments which will
not help the project in anyway.

As a matter of fact, we've stopped working on the
area," he elaborated.
Waste, electrical, gas, water and ventilation
systems, among others, cannot be installed.

Officials of Avangarde Design Services,
consultants for the project declined to comment
because KMA has not granted them the permission to
speak to the media.

However, a letter dated September 18, 2017, signed
by the Resident Engineer and addressed to city
mayor warns of dire consequences if the fight with
the private developer is not won.

It cites ineffective drainage system, restriction
of pedestrian access, difficulty in fire
evacuation and perennial flooding as potential
risks.

Mr. Danso says workers have since been working in
fear.

"First, we were having a fence...but we realised
that he [private developer] removed the fence and
then started developing the place. And later we
also got information from our security officers
that there were gunshots during the night when KMA
wanted to do their own investigations or wanted to
do demolition and other stuff.

"And the other day too we realised that KMA Market
Conveners from the assembly paid a visit there and
then that also brought a lot of fight between his
workers and the assembly members," he explained.

Members of the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly have
tasked the Mayor, Osei Assibey-Antwi, to act
decisively to address the issue.

Presiding Member, Abraham Boadi, who confirmed the
firing of gunshots says the private developer
worked on the project mostly in the night.

"He did most of the project in the night so before
we realized, the project was at even the second
floor. So we decided to pull it down and that
night if you are aware or if you have heard, the
man [ the shooter] was at the top. I mean he tried
someone to shoot the people who were coming to do
the demolition.

Yeah, he fired gunshots about 6  or 7," Mr. Boadi
explained.
He also suspects powerful unnamed persons are
backing the developer.

"That is Kumasi for you. Somebody hiding somewhere
pushing somebody to do a lot of things. And when
you are not careful, then you have a problem with
some traditional authorities or political leaders
and even religious leaders," he said.

The city mayor, Osei Assibey Antwi, told Kumasi
Traditional Council lawyers that KMA will meet the
private developer this week.

Attempts to reach the private developer have been
unsuccessful as several phone calls and text
messages to establish contact remain have not been
answered.

Back to the streets of Kumasi, residents,
especially motorists continue to compete with
pedestrians as well as traders for space.

Traffic in the Central Business District has
become unbearable.

Some commercial drivers who spoke with JoyNews
hope the traffic situation will improve once the
new Kejetia Market is completed.

Source - Ghana I Nhyira FM



... go Back

 
Add YOUR View here

Ghana Review International (GRi) is published by Micromedia Consultants Ltd. T/A MCL - a wholly Ghanaian owned news agency. GRi is an independent publication and is non-aligned to any political party or interest group, within or outside of Ghana. It is a reliable source of information for Ghanaians and non-Ghanaians alike. This magazine will be of interest to any person with an interest in Ghana, Ghanaians and Africans, wherever in the world they live. This website is the on-line arm of the publication. It contains news and reviews on Ghana and the international communities.

All pages are © Copyright Ghana Review International (GRi) 1994 - 2016