GhanaReview International - The Leading Ghanaian News Agency
London New York Accra
GRi Latest News
Wednesday 24 May 2017

2017-05-23

[B] Tullow eyes new fields beyond Jubilee & TEN
[B] ECG concession: bidders reduced to 6; MIDA sets eyes on financially viable bidde
[B] Former MP demands details on the 150 investors for ‘1-district, 1-factory'
[B] We need power to turn economy around – Agyarko
[S] Akufo-Addo's changes to ECG 'sale' agreement quite impressive - PUWU
[N] Kumbuor approved military protection for Ukraine, Russia galamseyers – MP
[N] 9 cars burnt, shops destroyed in a fire outbreak at Suame Magazine
[N] I insist Baba Jamal is involved in galamsey - Wontumi
[N] Man found dead in an abandoned dam
[N] 495 allied health professionals get financial clearance
[N] Spio Garbrah should be commended for GSA scandal investigations - Sorogho
[N] Alex Segbefia urges prosecution of culprits in Central Medical Stores fire
[N] Crentsil and family squandered GSA funds – PRO
[N] Ghana needs measures to stop illegal migration - Dr Ocansey
[N] Three (3) Ghana Gas helicopters missing
[N] Military protecting illegal mining sites – Amewu
[N] Amewu arrest 4 for engaging in galamsey at Amadaa
[N] Pastor, fetish priest clash over juju money

2017-05-22

[S] I lose nothing over Ghana banishment – KP Boateng
[S] Tony Baffoe urges government to create fund for Black Starlets
[B] Dumsor hit Vodafone Ghana badly - CEO
[B] Government to invest 30% only in 'One-District One-Factory' - Alan Kyeremanten
[B] Dollar has taken a commanding lead again
[B] Atuabo project was bloated by over $40m – Dr. Manteaw
[B] ECG using outdated methods to recover debts - NDC MP
[B] BoG reduces policy rate to 22.5%
[N] I’m not naive about corruption – Akufo-Addo
[N] Police begin manhunt for Tatale robbers
[N] Teenage pregnancy declines in Ashanti
[N] $13.9 million Veep's residence abandoned?
[N] UCC sued over suspension of 22 students
[N] Two fake soldiers arrested
[N] Otumfuo supports ban on Galamsey
[N] Government worried about Alavanyo-Nkonya killings – VR Minister  
[N] Politicians mourn with Woyome
[N] NDC chair, 4 robbers and 2 others killed in robbery gun battle
[N] 15 'corrupt' customs officers fired
[N] 3 robbers killed in shootout with police
[N] Girl, 16, dies after committing abortion
[N] Prof. Badu Akosa can't be our Chief – Kwahu Queen Mother
... go Back
 
General News

[ 2017-05-17 ]

Education Minister Dr. Mathew Opoku Prempeh

I never said Free SHS is for brilliant students – Napo
Education Minister Dr. Mathew Opoku Prempeh has
denied media reports suggesting that the NPP's
Free Senior High School policy set to be rolled
out this September is for 'brilliant' students
only.

Dr. Opoku Prempeh has described as 'false',
'twisted' and 'misleading', the said comments
attributed to him following an interview he
granted to Accra based Starr FM.

A publication by starrfmonline.com on Tuesday May
16, 2017 with the headline ‘Only brilliant
students will enjoy Free SHS - NAPO’ said the much
talked about policy by the governing New Patriotic
Party was one that was to be enjoyed by not all
students but only 'brilliant' ones who had
successfully passed the Basic Education
Certificate Examination, attributing the claim to
the Minister.

But the Education Minister has taken strong
exception to the 'misleading' headline questioning
the basis for such an act by editors of the online
platform and host of the Morning Starr, Francis
Abban. Portions of the Minister's rejoinder reads,
‘My disappointment with the news item is
exacerbated by the fact that in a conversation
with Mr. Abban just before the formal interview
started, I specifically raised concerns about
misleading headline on the basis of past
experiences. Mr. Abban promised not to be
mischievous as others had been, and yet exactly
the opposite has taken place in this instance,
giving a completely false, twisted and misleading
headline to my comments on access to free SHS.’

Read the full statement from the Education
Minister here.

PRESS STATEMENT

For Immediate Release

REJOINDER: STARRFMONLINE.COM NEWS ITEM ON FREE SHS
POLICY.
My attention has been drawn to a news item on
Starrfmonline’s website, published yesterday 16th
May 2017 and headlined ‘Only Brilliant Students
will Enjoy Free SHS-NAPO’. The news item was based
on an interview I granted earlier to Mr. Francis
Abban of Starr FM, and which was aired on Monday
15th May 2017.

I categorically wish to place on record that at no
point during the interview did I state or even
imply, however remotely, that Free SHS would apply
only to brilliant JHS graduates.

What I made clear was that starting in September
2017, any JHS graduate who passes the BECE and is
placed in a public senior high school will benefit
from Free SHS. This has been our consistent
position as a government.

My disappointment with the news item is
exacerbated by the fact that in a conversation
with Mr. Abban just before the formal interview
started, I specifically raised concerns about
misleading headline on the basis of past
experiences. Mr. Abban promised not to be
mischievous as others had been, and yet exactly
the opposite has taken place in this instance,
giving a completely false, twisted and misleading
headline to my comments on access to free SHS.

I strongly believe it is important for journalists
to honour their word and be thoroughly
professional and meticulous, as accuracy is
paramount in their line of work. I would fervently
hope that there are no ulterior motives to this
obviously false headline or that the mischief was
not at anyone’s bidding.

The media, as the fourth estate, are crucial
partners in nation building, and it is important
for public officials to develop and maintain a
warm relationship with the fraternity. However,
incidents like this threaten to mar this
relationship as they lead to suspicion and
wariness on the part of public officials. That is
not a healthy development.

I expect that the management of Starr FM will take
the necessary steps to address this lack of
professionalism as a matter of extreme urgency.

Hon. Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh
Minster

Source - www.ghanaweb.com



... go Back

 
Add YOUR View here

Ghana Review International (GRi) is published by Micromedia Consultants Ltd. T/A MCL - a wholly Ghanaian owned news agency. GRi is an independent publication and is non-aligned to any political party or interest group, within or outside of Ghana. It is a reliable source of information for Ghanaians and non-Ghanaians alike. This magazine will be of interest to any person with an interest in Ghana, Ghanaians and Africans, wherever in the world they live. This website is the on-line arm of the publication. It contains news and reviews on Ghana and the international communities.

All pages are © Copyright Ghana Review International (GRi) 1994 - 2016