[ 2012-05-02 ]
NADMO dispatches relief items to victims of Navrongo rainstorm disaster
Victims of last week’s Navrongo rainstorm disaster
could heave a huge sigh of relief following
reports a truck load of relief items from Accra is
on its way to the area.
More than 500 people are said to have been
displaced after the rainstorm, with the worse
affected being housed temporarily in an
uncompleted District Assembly building.
One of the victims Cassandra Aprare told Joy News
she and her family are putting up in a small room
awaiting help from the National Disaster
Management Organisation (NADMO).
The Upper East Region Minister, Mark Wayongo had
early on lamented the delay by NADMO in sending
relief items to ameliorate the suffering of the
However, the NADMO coordinator in the Region
Patrick Akarke told Joy News’ Eric Ahianyo help is
on its way.
“There is good news. My dynamic National head, Mr
Kofi Portuphy has just told me that they have just
organized a big vehicle [which] is coming with
relief items to start with. Many more will
follow,” he said.
He was not privy as to what the truck contained
but said once the relief items arrive Wednesday
night or Thursday morning, it will be shared among
He said the items will be distributed according to
the worst affected persons.
Joy News’ Upper East Region correspondent Albert
Soree reported of some communities completely cut
off from the electricity supply as a result of
tumbling of electric poles in the area.
He was worried the poles were still lying
dangerously on the ground with no effort by the
officials to erect them.
Source - MyjoyOnline
... go Back